Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Two Reviews of books by Amber A. Bardan

*Seeing as how it's been a while since I've posted a long review of these types of books, I'll put out a warning that these are NOT teen/YA novels!*

King's Captive

blurb:

For three years, I've belonged to Julius King. 
Some people would think being stuck on a private island is heaven, but this is my hell.  
Because I'm not here as a guest. Not even close. I'm a prisoner. I'm his. 
Julius King. Powerful. Wealthy. Dangerous. 
There are parts of me he wants that I can't give him. When he looks at me, there are times I swear he sees someone else. And the scary part is that sometimes, when he touches me, I think he may be someone else, too. 
Though my body might be tempted, and he might control everything else, I can't let him have any piece of my heart. I won't. But every day, the fight gets harder, and Julius manages to slip past my defenses in the most unexpected ways.  
I have to find out the truth about Julius King. Even if it destroys me.

 
* * *
 
I went into this needing a break from my typical YA genre. I do that. I read genre's in bursts and then break and read another to clear my head. Still, I did NOT expect to like this as much as I did. In fact, I added it to my In Love list on Goodreads almost immediately after reading. (If any of you are curious, you can head over to by goodreads and check out that shelf. I only add books I'm totally in love with, which doesn't mean every book I've given 5 stars). Anyway...
 
I'm so glad that I picked this book up. It was totally random for me, I've never read this author before (and now seriously regret that I've lived so long without), and while I was hoping that I would enjoy it, I wasn't holding my breath. I'm the type of person who goes into these things hoping for a decent story to go along with my smut. Sure, I like reading the dirty as much as the next person who picks up an erotica novel, but I also want it to make sense. This book had an amazing plot, well rounded characters, a fast pace, and twist after twist! Throughout the entire thing, there was only one part, at the middle, that bothered me and felt out of place. Generally, for an erotica, there are about a million things that I don't like plot-wise (or, more often than not, lack there of), so being annoyed at only one thing wasn't a deal breaker for me. I'm going to tell you about it though, because it did really bug me, so SPOILER ALERT!
 
Obviously, with all the plot twists in this book, some things that happen are going to come off one way and then later on be revealed to be something entirely different. This is great. I love this aspect of the book. One hundred percent. However, when a character does a complete one-eighty during one of these moments, just so that later one when the truth is revealed, it makes sense she didn't over react, that annoys me. It doesn't seem legitimate, because, hello, SHE doesn't know that what she thinks is happening isn't! Only the author does. Sarah fights against Julius every turn she get's (if only mentally, but that's huge), and she's constantly thinking about how bad she believes him to be. Yet, the second that she finds out he "adopted" her brother...she's, for the most part, cool with it. She's confused at first, sure, but then....cool. That annoyed me. Yes, it's great he's taking care of your brother. Awesome. But that also means he's more than just kept you from him all this time. He's had him with him on the mainland, and didn't tell you. Imagine all the stories he could have shared, and all the birthdays you didn't have to miss because you could have, at the very least, skyped them. Yet, Sarah, who finds a reason to mistrust and hate him at literally every turn, let's this go. Like it's no big deal. Like the guy who, inadvertently (but in her mind still had a huge hand in it) got your father killed, kidnapped you, and wants to force you to marry him, then adopting your brother isn't weird. No. She let's it go and that feels so out of character to me, that it just annoyed me for the next twenty or so percent of the story. Okay, I'm done. That's my only complaint.
 
Everything else was amazing. I was completely sucked into their world, and I immediately went out and bought more by this author. The sex scenes were hot, and well written, and there was a hefty story to go along with it. This wasn't just quick smut for the sake of getting off, which for me anyway, makes all the difference. I love books and story and plot, so as great as reading about sex is, I don't read solely for those. Some of you will disagree, and that's cool. If you like story in your erotica though, good story, then I highly recommend this!
 


 
 
And onto the next...
 
Twice as Hard
 
Blurb:
 
They caught me. Naked, shivering and dripping after a spontaneous swim in the forest. Two rugged men whose hard gazes captivated and scared me all at once.

They warned me. Told me I was on private property and I needed to obey the law…or I would be punished.

The idea of them both punishing me, pleasuring me, kept tormenting me. I couldn't want them. I shouldn't. But I did.

I didn't mean to trespass again. I thought I could retreat without notice. But they're coming for me.

To show me the pleasure in pain. To show me just how right forbidden can feel. And to love me twice as hard as I ever fantasized.
 
 
* * *
 
This book is about so much more than the blurb let's on. So much more. And I loved every single page of it. Bardan is a word wizard, seriously, for being able to pack in so many different things into such a short book (it's about 110 pages). Obviously, seeing as how this is an erotica, there's lots of sex. But there's also a really interesting and complex story going on involving all of these characters that help breath an extra layer of life into it. It isn't just about the sex, as great as those scenes are written (and wow are they). I loved all of these characters and found myself rooting for them. They had such great, individual, and believable personalities, that it made it impossible for me to put this down to even use the bathroom. I read the whole thing in one sitting, because I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. I like reading erotica because it's real in a way that some regular romance books don't get to: I like that we can see them be intimate and kinky and out there, because the world isn't made of vanilla. But, with that in mind, I'm also huge on plot. I love books in general, and all genres, so it's no surprise that even when I'm reading an erotica, I hope for a good story to go along with my smut. Bardan delivers. And not just with this book either. I've now read three and I can tell you, I am hooked. I saw this plot twist coming, but even then, how it's done is so seamless. There's kink, but there's also a heavy layer of love, and erotica writers aren't always able to capture those two things together. Basically, if you love good story telling, and also happen to love good sex scenes, pick this up! 
 
 
 
Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway below!!! There's a free entry for everyone so don't miss out on a great opportunity to get a free book and possible check out a new author!!! :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment