Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Thorn and the Blossom By: Theodora Goss

Blurb:

One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.

When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself . . .

The Thorn and the Blossom is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning.
  

* * *
 
This is short, and sweet, and romantic. It reminds me a lot of those old stories, in fact a lot like the story of the Green Knight, which was done on purpose and I feel, done perfectly. I loved these characters, and I actually really loved how we skipped through their lives to their meeting points. I was a bit concerned that it would be redundant, reading first the story from her perspective and then his (that's how I chose to do it) but it wasn't. It was actually really well done, so that it felt fresh each time. I also suggest reading it in the order I did; there's something about Brendan's ending that feels more satisfying as The End. Maybe because it focuses on the romantic aspect, where as hers is about self discovery and finding your place. I loved it. Definitely recommend.
 
Please keep in mind, this is not a YA, and while it's set in the modern day, it is told in a style that's more like British Romantic Literature. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, as the story rushes through pretty quickly to the points where they see each other again, but personally, I was all right with that.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment