Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Reluctant Sacrifice by Kerr-Ann Dempster

Blurb:

Centuries ago, sibling rivalry tore Aramith apart. As punishment, the losers were stripped of their immortal birthright and banished to Earth. There, they wasted away from old age and diseases. However, there is hope…

If a Shaw child, born on the 12th day of the 12th month offers her soul in a public sacrifice, then the exiles will be forgiven and welcomed home to Aramith.

Aubrey Shaw is that child, but dying for the exiles is not on her to-do list. Using her gift as a Jumper, Aubrey leaps between bodies to escape relentless shape-shifting hunters. Only, shedding her skin is not enough. Not when Joshua, her best-friend-turned-hunter, is hell-bent on dragging her to the altar.

Will Aubrey’s love for Joshua change his mind?

Or, will she have to trust the scarred stranger who shows up out of the blue cloaked in lies and secrets? Doing so means giving up on Joshua. But betting on Joshua's love could do more than break her heart.

It could kill her.


* * *
 
 
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Aubrey and Tessa, and quickly fell for Coy. The characters that were meant to be the "bad" guys felt legitimate, though I didn't really find a lot of redeeming qualities in Joshua and do wish there might have been a few more. Only because then I would have been torn between him and Coy and understood better why Aubrey was. The story flowed quickly, so it was a fast and enjoyable read the whole way through. I loved how easy it was to get sucked into, and understand, this world that Dempster created. The only problem I had with it as a whole is that in the end, I don't feel like the people who forced her onto that alter got what they deserved. I wish that in the epilogue when we're in Coy's POV and he's explaining the war, he mentioned that Charr also revealed to everyone that forcing Aubrey up there wouldn't have worked so they new they'd hunted her for nothing and in the end it was her choice. But, that's just me, and even though it annoys me (because I'm big on justice and karma) I can see why the author didn't bother with these details. It was an easy decision to give this book five stars, and I highly recommend it to people who are looking for a fresh and fun supernatural read!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment