Friday, September 16, 2016

Thorn Jack (A Night and Nothing Novel, #1) By: Katherine Harbour

Follow me on Instagram: TempestChani

Blurb:

They call us things with teeth. These words from Lily Rose Sullivan the night of her death haunts her seventeen-year-old sister, Finn, who has moved with her widowed father to his hometown of Fair Hollow, New York. After befriending a boy named Christie Hart and his best friend, Sylvie Whitethorn, Finn is invited to a lakeside party where she encounters the alluring Jack Fata, a member of the town's mysterious Fata family. Despite Jack's air of danger and his clever words, Finn learns they have things in common.

One day, while unpacking, Finn finds her sister's journal, scrawled with descriptions of creatures that bear a sinister resemblance to Jack's family. Finn dismisses these stories as fiction, but Jack's family has a secret—the Fatas are the children of nothing and night, nomadic beings who have been preying on humanity for centuries—and Jack fears that his friendship with Finn has drawn the attention of the most dangerous members of his family—Reiko Fata and vicious Caliban, otherwise known as the white snake and the crooked dog.

Plagued with nightmares about her sister, Finn attempts to discover what happened to Lily Rose and begins to suspect that the Fatas are somehow tied to Lily Rose's untimely death. Drawn to Jack, determined to solve the mystery of her sister's suicide, Finn must navigate a dangerous world where nothing is as it seems.


* * *
 
I absolutely loved this book. I loved the characters and the mythology and the dark gothic tones. But I can also see why people don't like it. Fortunately for me, I know enough about the mythology of creatures mentioned in this book that reading all of the vague descriptions and hints ended up adding to my enjoyment. For someone who didn't know anything? That could probably get pretty frustrating. And being that I love gothic romance novels, like Wuthering Heights, I enjoyed the constant descriptions. However even there I can see where they might bore a different reader. There was also the fact that this book took me much longer than a book usually would to read. That might have something to do with the physical size of the pages however (I have the hard cover, haven't seen the paperback so don't know if the shape is similar). They printed this book on wider paper than normal, and because of that there were more words per page. Even though I loved this story, even I got frustrated a few times that it felt like I'd been reading forever and hadn't made a dent in it.

All of that being said, if you don't know anything about old faeries or Tam Lin, look it up and then READ THIS BOOK. It's worth it. I fell in total love with Jack, despite all of his flaws, and I fully enjoyed the other characters as well. Some of the scenes are so colorful and full of life I one hundred percent felt like I was there while reading about them. This is a fantastic read, so long as you keep in mind while doing so it might take you longer to get through than you're used to.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment