Friday, September 16, 2016

Second Star By: Alyssa B. Sheinmel

Blurb:

A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.

* * *
 
** spoiler alert ** Let me be clear from the get go, the one star is because the ending.

FOR THE ENTIRE REST OF THE BOOK I WOULD GIVE IT 5.

BUT I absolutely HATE being lied to. Hate it. And I hate it even more when I feel like it's the author who's doing the lying. I absolutely loved this book, even though it was simple and sweet and (up until the 180 ending) very predictable. But that ending? Nope. I understand where the author was trying to go with it, I do, I just think it was executed poorly. For one, she's going to have that on her record. Forever. That she was crazy and had to stay in a psychward for help even though, oh wait!, she wasn't crazy at all. Which also makes me the reader feel cray because we're jerked around at the end just as much as she is! It really happened. It didn't. It did. It didn't. It did. AND then the fact that none of her friends, WHO ARE FRICKEN REAL AFTER ALL, came to see her or help her or, I don't know, reveal to her damn parents she wasn't insane, makes me hate them. Which sucks, because I really liked some of them. I did. And it's cleAr Jas was in the process of telling her he'd spend the rest of his life with her, presumably trying to help her get over the loss of her brothers, but then vanishes because suddenly Pete is back in his life?! Bullshit. And what about her? She just thinks it's all hunky doory and eventually she'll find him again and be able to say she loves him to. To s guy who basically abandoned her when she really did need him the most. Him being there wouldn't have hindered her getting over the loss of her brothers either, because she now knows what really happened and she wouldn't have had to spend so much time locked to. The whole thing is just ridiculous and forced and because of that now I hate a boom that I've loved right up to the last few chapters. Basically, if you like endings that jerk you around, and stories that happen but don't really but do, read this. Otherwise...pass. The ending makes the rest of the book not worth reading, in my personal opinion. Which sucks. I'm sorry but anyone willing to walk away without even checking on her, and then letting her stay locked up like that when all they had to do was appear once quickly to prove their existence is an asshole. And it pisses me off even more that instead of seeing this, she's still pinning away. Sure, she isn't going to drop everything and run after them like she did her brothers, but big deal. At this point, who cares?
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment