Monday, September 28, 2015

Twist Me (Twist Me, #1) by Anna Zaires


Review by Tempest.

Side note: I read a different book by this author last week titled, Close Liaison's, and only gave it 2 stars. There were a lot of things that I didn't like about it (like the implication that a vegan diet is hands down the healthiest, and the female lead being an idiot) BUT there were parts about it I liked enough that I decided to give another of this authors books a try, albeit from a different series (though I may eventually revisit the second book of the Krinar Chronicles which I did buy). This book was GREAT. I probably won't be reviewing Close Liaison's, which is why I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who checked and saw I'd read it and gave it 2 where as I'm giving this book by the same author 5. :) Ok, now to why you're really here!




Blurb:


***New Adult Dark Erotic Novel***
Kidnapped. Taken to a private island.
I never thought this could happen to me. I never imagined one chance meeting on the eve of my eighteenth birthday could change my life so completely.
Now I belong to him. To Julian. To a man who is as ruthless as he is beautiful – a man whose touch makes me burn. A man whose tenderness I find more devastating than his cruelty.
My captor is an enigma. I don’t know who he is or why he took me. There is a darkness inside him – a darkness that scares me even as it draws me in.
My name is Nora Leston, and this is my story.
WARNING: This is NOT a traditional romance. It contains disturbing subject matter, including themes of questionable consent and Stockholm Syndrome, as well as graphic sexual content. This is a work of fiction intended for a mature, 18+ audience only. The author neither endorses nor condones this type of behavior.


* * *


To be perfectly honest, I didn't think I'd like this book as much as I did. I was expecting a whinny, annoying, insta-love female character who gets kidnapped but then falls for the guy over night. More than half the time with these types of stories that's what happens, am I right? Not so with this. Sure, there's a jump, so there are a few months between point "I totally hate him" to point "I totally...don't know anymore" but surprisingly it worked, and helped keep things believable. I'll admit I'm into these kinds of stories (obviously) but more often than not I find myself extremely disappointed by how implausible the addiction and love aspect plays in. I'm a seriously independent woman, so reading about other woman being abusing and then over night deciding they're ok with it because the guys just has the most amazing sex moves on the planet...pretty much makes me want to yack. The only reason I'm rambling on and bringing this up is because there isn't any of that in this book. I kept reading, waiting until that moment where I could hate Nora (yes, I expected that to happen that much) and it just never came. There was an incident with a vase I thought was pretty stupid, but in retrospect, hey, can't blame a girl for trying. The details were rich in this book, just enough to set the scene yet still not beating us over the head. And while Beth annoyed me, and actually even her friendship with Beth, that whole storyline tied up nicely. And Julian....I love that he was honest about who and what he was. He's not a good guy, he's not the worst guy, but he's pretty bad. He doesn't try to hide that, which is great. Nora was the same way, she dealt with things in a believable manner, and I loved how she was able to admit to herself that she knew her feelings were messed up. Because of that, I was able to jump on board with her. I found myself nodding my head along to her inner monologue being like, "Yes, you're right. This is messed up. You have been mind fucked into feeling this way. But I am right there with you." You're sort of torn between wanting to be able to say this is screwy and wrong, but you find yourself being drawn into Julian as well. It's understandable, given she's been there for fifteen months with only him to rely on. It was the perfect mix of psychological and erotic. And it was erotic. Really erotic. One thing I really appreciate about this author, (because I read the first of the Krinar Chronicles, too) which might seem weird, is that she's honest about the whole losing ones virginity thing. Another pet peeve of mine is when it get sugar coated over. The girl is being forced to have sex for the first time, with someone who is way above average size, and ends up...being totally fine? Yeah right. There's none of that fantasy land bullshit here. Losing her v-card sucks for Nora, like it would for pretty much everyone in her situation. The book starting out honestly like that was helped keep me reading. I ended up liking this book more than Close Liaisons even, I just feel Nora is a much better lead character. Her choices are smart ones, even when they're desperate where as I felt the lead in Krinar just acted on desperation and didn't really think. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I loved this. Will definitely be reading the second one asap!



Be sure to check out the huge giveaway going on over at my author blog! The link can be found on the left sidebar! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment