Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom, #1) by Clare B. Dunkle

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

In nineteenth-century England, a powerful sorcerer and King of the Goblins chooses Kate, the elder of two orphan girls recently arrived at their ancestral home, Hallow Hill, to become his bride and queen...

* * *
 
Well, as you can probably tell by the terribly short blurb, I didn't really know what I was getting into with this book. Honestly, if I hadn't found it at the local book barn, I probably never would have pursued it. However, I do love books about goblins, there are just so few that are done right--in my humble opinion. This one had an interesting storyline, with a lot of detail. It was vivid, especially the descriptions of the goblins. It definitely made discovering more of that world catching, keeping me reading despite the issues I had with the rest of the story. For one, I understand the characters are supposed to be young, and that that is most likely meant more as a preteen book than a teen one. But still. The characters act a little too immature, even the eldest who is supposed to come off as this strong main character. I suppose in many ways she does better then most, but it still got tedious and annoying listening to her whine. This is before she even gets kidnapped, mind you, because everything after that makes perfect sense. I wouldn't exactly be pleased myself. That's another thing however, if this was meant as a preteen book, they touch base on some pretty dark/deep stuff. We get to see that she falls for the goblin kind herself, but there's still the implication that had she not, he'd still impregnate her. That's basically like a sugar coated version of rape. For the story, it makes sense, and the legend, but that's more of a reason I would have preferred for the writing to be stylized for a slightly older audience. The adventure aspects are great, and the second half of the book once the goblins come in full force is much better than the first. It's catchy and had me reading straight through to find out what happens. That is probably what made me give it three stars instead of the two I originally intended. Just as a fair warning, though, if you're interested in the romantic aspect of this book, be aware that the goblin king is not some hot teenage-looking dude. He's the opposite of attractive in fact. Even on the inside at times. If you're looking for a quick read with goblins and magic in it, then I'd give it a shot.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment