Saturday, May 3, 2014

Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano

Review by Tempest.

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


* * *
 
I loved Wither, loved it so much in fact, that I even read the book twice. When Fever first came out, however, I wasn't even interested by the blurb on the slip cover, so I put it off. Part of me is glad that I did, the other part is upset that I didn't put it off even longer. As much as I loved the first book is probably how much I hated the second. Fever can almost be considered a waste of space. Almost nothing important really happens, other than her brother not being where she last saw him. For the first hundred pages, they're captures all over again, and it's like I'm reading a worse version of Wither. I just wish something else could have happened in the beginning to draw us in, something that didn't include such a similar concept. Yes, I like the character Maddie, and I'm glad she's in and she is a vital piece of it all, but the rest....seriously? Rhine came off stuck up and a know-it-all, but not in a good way, and I didn't like the way she treated Gabriel, who literally just gave up everything for her. She isn't open or honest with him, and it just seems like if he were any boy she'd react the same around him. It was also a bit vague in the tent scenes when they're "birds" being displayed at the carnival. Did they sleep together there, did they not? It dropped off so that it could be implied that they did, but I'm just not sure. I somehow doubt it, which means Rhine got off super lucky. Again. And again, she somehow reminds her captor of a dead loved one. It's Rose all over again. Linden doesn't come in until the very end, and while I always liked Gabriel more, I would have liked to have more of him in the story. There was just a lot of wandering for nothing, learning nothing, and then a big "reveal" at the end which isn't even all that big. She could have figured that out halfway through the book in fact, and the next half could have been used in convincing Linden. That would have been so much better. This book could have really been condensed, and maybe mixed with the last book, though I haven't read Sever and honestly, after this, I don't plan to. I want to know how this trilogy ends, but I think I'm just going to check some of the reviews for the last book and piece it together myself so I don't actually have to sit through another one. The thing is I love Lauren DeStefano's writing. She's got great prose with lovely descriptions that always draw me right in. But the plot of this book...terrible. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really really want to see for yourself.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment