Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James

Just a quick hello to anyone who's been here before and noticed that we've been absent for....a while. Sigh. I have TONS of reviews to write, just not very much time to actually do so. Sorry :/ Hopefully I can pick up my game and get back to posting. :) Hope you all had a great holiday!

Review by Tempest.

Blurb (is this even necessary? I'm sure EVERYONE's heard of this book):

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.


* * *
 
Again, for anyone who's ever been here before, you know that I review some pretty...smutty books sometimes. I read almost anything, literature, teen fiction, romance, grotesque lit., poetry, classics, and yes, erotica. There are a few books that I reviewed for this blog where I actually sat in front of my computer for a few minutes (or days) putting it off and wondering if I should even chance it because they're so dirty, I might not even want people to know I read it. That being said, this book, did not fall into that category. I'm not saying I expected it to be all smut, but I did expect a little, well more. Still, I DID really like the book despite that.
 
I decided to pick this book up after hearing filming for the movie was going to start and that they'd chosen Jamie Dornan to play Christian. Honestly, I put it off for a while because of all the hype (a bit hypocritical of me because I hate even people do that. It's a great way to miss out) but I'm glad I finally got around to it. Don't get me wrong, in my personal opinion, there were flaws and things I didn't like, but there were also things about this book that really worked for me. I'd like to start off by saying, though, in my personal opinion, this was more of a romance book than an erotica. I mean, as far as sex scenes go, it's not like we got much more than we did in, say, Sherrilyn Kenyon's, Night Play. Sure, it touched base on some of the more taboo aspects that we find in erotica, like tying people up and getting kinky, but I still wouldn't have labeled this as erotica. However, I have read some pretty smut focused erotica before, so maybe I just wasn't affected by this book in the same way others who were newer to the genre were. There was a story here. It wasn't overly complex, and there weren't very many unseen twists and turns, but there were questions that needed answering, and things that by the end of book one we still don't have the answers to. It did manage to keep my attention, and despite the fact that Christian is super moody, I was into his character. Clearly he is damaged goods, something rooted in his past, one we don't know everything about yet. Does that make him the type of character that sometimes does things I don't like? Yes. There was a somewhat skewed depiction of the BDSM lifestyle, in that it sort of applied without actually doing so that Christian's way is the only way, which just isn't the case. I would have liked for Ana to have done some research on the differences and have shown us, that way the reader's could see the truth of that as well. It doesn't necessarily have to blend into their every day lives, nor does there have to be a strict eating/workout/sleep schedule either.  Does it sometimes happen that way? I'm sure. But is it the only way? No. I did like how Christian came off like this always in control-take-no-crap guy, yet throughout the entire book he does always (albeit in little ways) Ana take charge. As for Anastasia, unfortunately I do have to admit I know of actual people who are 21 in this day and age who have absolutely no knowledge of sex, despite the fact that practically everyone has to take sex ed in high school. So, that wasn't as nearly unrealistic for me as it was for some other reader's. I think it's easy now-a-days for people to assume that anyone who is over the age of fifteen and doesn't no or partake in sexual things don't exist. That's not true. There are still a lot of people who haven't masturbated or tried anything, and there also isn't anything wrong or weird about them because of it. HOWEVER I do find it weird and annoying that Ana is so blind, she doesn't realize that a ton of guys have the hots for her. That's just plain dumb. They don't exactly make it subtle either, there's even a part in the book where she says that the boss's brother asks her out A LOT. It's like the whole thing just goes right over her head. There's also the issue that if she were a virgin in all ways (i.e. she hasn't done anything) there's no way she'd be "just sore" after having sex with Christian the first time. I did like that she had a personality, and attributes. Sure, the whole "I love to read and I'm quiet" thing has been used a lot, but that's because it works. There are a lot of people out there who are quiet and read. So what if she happens to be another one of them? I do have to say, though, I hated the ending. Full on hated it. It happened way too quickly, so it felt totally rushed, like the author got tired of writing it or too eager to start the second book, so just jotted it down and ended it as fast as possible. It made both characters seem stupid. It also emphasized the fact that Ana never really listened to a damn thing Christian ever said, though, in retrospect, I suppose the same could also be said about him in this instance as well. All in all, I ended up liking the book despite my doubts, though I don't really feel like it should be considered an erotica (I even think that might be slightly misleading). I'd recommend it to anyone who maybe wants to ease into the erotica genre however.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment