Thursday, October 31, 2013

Death of the Mad Hatter by Sarah J. Pepper

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

The Jack prophesied: If the king loses his head, then the Queen with a Bleeding Heart would rule the Red Court until Time ceased to move forward. When a second carried on for infinity, every creature in Wonderland would tip their Hat to the misfit girl with a Boy’s name (or was it a boy with a Girl’s name?) who’d end the Reign of Terror. However, it all hinged on the One-Eyed Hare being able to convince an uninspirable Heir that the impossible was indeed possible—like stopping time—and that Love was worth a Beheading.

Heads would Roll…
Hearts would Break…
In the end, would it matter who Reigned?


* * *
 
I loved the premise of this book, and I've always been a huge Alice in Wonderland fan. It was actually really hard for me to get into this one, however. It's written with an air of the original Alice, similar wording and feel, but for some reason that initially took me out of the story instead of drawing me in. It felt a bit forced, a little over done. A few chapters in though I started really getting into it. Ryley is an interesting character, who was fleshed out really well. We really get a feel for who he is. I also really liked the twist Alice took. Now that she's a teen, she's changed a lot from that little girl we read about in the original story. I love how it was obvious how and where Wonderland changed her and affected the person she'd become. She's a little off, which is exactly what you'd expect from someone who spends time in Wonderland. Mr. Ruth was an adorable addition, who added a nice angle to us discovering Alice. Those moments where she talks to him, even when they're in the middle of a classroom, show us that she's still the curious and bold child from the original. The author was able to develop the character, while keeping important traits we all know and love. This story takes a lot of twists and turns, reading made me feel like I was spinning down the rabbit hole. Every time the two main characters interacted I rooted for them. All in all, if you're fan of story retellings, or even of just a good fantasy book, I definitely recommend this! I'll for sure be checking out more work from this author.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment