Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bride of Fire by Charlene Teglia

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Captive for his pleasure…

Hades, Lord of the Underworld, rules the realm of darkness but his kingdom has no queen. He burns for Persephone who lives in the world above. If he could only lure her below, she would taste the passion he alone can offer and agree to stay and rule by his side.

Persephone falls into Hades’ trap and becomes his captive. He offers her his bed and a throne, but will he offer her what she truly wants—his heart?


* * *
 
I've wanted to read this book for a really long time and it took me forever to find it! But I'm so glad I did. It's a shorter piece, so the ending is a bit abrupt, but that's not too big a deal. The rest of the book is worth it. I've read Charlene Teglia's work before, and I almost always love it. She's got a great way of expressing characters without having to give away too much. It's easy to see the darker depths of Hades, for instance, without us having to constantly be reminded he's the god of the Underworld and he rules the dead. I also like how in this book it's made clear that he's in love with Persephone, why he is, and how if he thought she wasn't into him he'd back off. The way he reacts when she leaves...it was very well played out. Completely believable, and he was just so sweet throughout while still maintaining that bad-boy-king-of-the-castle air. Persephone had legitimate reasons for holding herself back, and I like that she was portrayed as a strong character here instead of the meek child like one she usually is in retellings. She had pride and she was intelligent. All in all, I thought this was a great read with steamy scenes and hot characters. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because of the length. The ending was pretty abrupt, even for a short story, and I really would have liked to see this developed into a longer work. I think there's a lot of material here for the author, and that lengthening it would be completely possible.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment