Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Demon's Captive by Stephanie Snow

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Charity is almost through with college when war breaks out and the planet is decimated. Charity is alone, without family or friends and she has eluded capture by the warriors in the sky.

Commander Melmanon is furious that the Earth woman has been able to elude capture. Melmanon is known for his terrible bloodlust and ability to torture his captives. His pride has taken a beating and he visualizes his revenge on his enemy.

When Charity is finally captured by Melmanon, she is terrified when she sees he looks like a demon. Fearing pain and a slow death, Charity submits to Melmanon and he is surprised that her submission brings him great pleasure. He makes Charity his torture slave so he can keep her with him longer. Nobody is more surprised than Charity when she finds herself liking Melmanon’s attention. But Charity’s loyalties and feelings are put to the test and she will soon have to make difficult decisions. But not as difficult as those Melmanon will have to make…

* * *

Hmm...what to say about this book. There were parts of it that I really liked. The details for one where great. It was very easy to picture the war torn earth, the ships, and of course, erm, the scenes (I believe we all know which ones I'm referring to). Both of the main characters were, for the most part, likable. Even though Charity could be considered "weak", it's still hard to dislike her for it. In many instances, I'm sure most people would react the exact same way. Survival instinct kicks in when it's needed, and she wanted to stay alive. I don't see anything wrong with that. Melmanon starts off as kind of a brute, then you like him, and then he has this one moment where I sort of hated him, then back to liking him. That moment I'm talking about is one where he clearly takes things a little too far and ends up hurting Charity on purpose. I'm not really into that kind of thing, so it didn't really do it for me, however if you're into rape fantasies and/or dark erotica, then I doubt you'll have a problem with it. I think the issue that I had with this one is that at times it moved way too quickly for my liking. It felt rushed in the emotions department, so hard for me to buy into. I was glad that he ended up falling for her and turned it into more then just her being his torture slave, but I also would have liked to see more communication between them to help spur this along. Though, I guess when the mind reading abilities it wasn't overly necessary like it would be in a typical relationship. There were many things that could have afforded to be fleshed out with this one, but if you're just in it for the sex scenes then this is for you! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment