Sunday, May 19, 2013

All You Desire (Eternal Ones, #2) by Kirsten Miller

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Haven Moore and Iain Morrow have been living a blissful life in Rome, an ocean way from the Ouroboros Society and its diabolical leader. But paradise is not to last. The mysterious disappearance of Haven's best friend, Beau, sends the pair running back to New York, where they encounter the Horae, an underground group of women who have spent centuries scheming to destroy Adam Rosier. Only they can help Haven uncover the secret to Beau's whereabouts in one of her past lives. But their help comes at a price: Haven must infiltrate the Ouroboros Society, charm Adam Rosier, and lure him into a trap. It's a plan the Horae believe will save the world-but Haven and Iain fear that it may destroy the happiness they've been chasing for two thousand years.

* * *

So to add something different this time around, I decided to also post here the notes I made on goodreads.com while reading this book. If you haven't read my review for the first book in this series, The Eternal Ones, I suggest you do so before this one ;). Anywho, here are the notes, followed by my review.

05/12 page 152
35.0% "It's better than the first one so far, however there are still parts where Haven seems too naive."
05/12 page 271
64.0% "Still better then the first one. I really wish she and Iain had better communication skills though. Things would be so much simpler for them, and their love would be more believable."
05/13 "Also, it's spelled Opossum. With an O."
05/14 page 357
84.0% "Haven is so stupid. The book was good up until she went back be being incredibly dumb. All she ever does is jump to conclusions without really thinking things through. You'd think that after all of those lives she's lived she'd have figured out how to look at both sides of a story before passing judgment. Seriously, half the shit that goes wrong with her wouldn't if she'd just stop and think."


Like with the first book of this series, I didn't hate it, but found myself annoyed with a lot of the goings on. I gave this one four stars instead of the three I gave to the first book, and I'm still not entirely sure why. I think I liked it more, but it's so hard to tell. Starting with some of the reasons I liked it, Haven was clearly a really great friend to Beau. She went out of her way to ensure she could find him and keep him safe. She put all of her energy into doing so, and wasn't afraid to do anything in order to reach that goal. I liked this about her, and it helped that we got to see more sides to her. The story had more turns and twists then the first, as well as more players to keep track of. It made figuring out who was telling the truth a little more complex then with the last book. The writing style of this author also, is really good. I think that's probably why I keep coming back for more despite the things I don't like about these books. I find myself dragged in deeper and deeper even when I'm frustrated out of my mind. Speaking of, Haven was annoying. Again. For most of the book she's fine, and I was thinking it was a great improvement, but then all of sudden she does a one-eighty and reverts back to that person she used to be before. She's naive, and stupid. She buys into everything people tell her, without even thinking twice about it. After living so many lives, seeing both sides of the story should come as second nature to her, but instead she remains narrow minded and judgmental. What I did like was that we got to see more Adam, and more of their past together, though again I would have liked more explanation. For one, why did he fall so in love with her? I mean, I get that he saw her dancing and it was like love at first sight because she made him feel when no one else had, but why did she continue to be the only one able to do that? Two thousand years is a long time to spend chasing after one person and shunning the rest. He didn't once even think perhaps he'd found another who could elicit emotions within him? I wanted to see/know more about why Haven is so great that two men are so madly in love with her, and have been for centuries. Adam is an interesting character though, and it was the aspects about him and his motives that kept the book so entertaining. This time, all the finger pointing really worked out, because as the reader even I was a bit unsure of him in places of the story. I'm wondering if he's supposed to be the original Adam from the Bible. It would make sense, considering we were originally created to live forever and then once he and Eve sinned were cast out of the garden and given mortal lives. It makes me even more curious about him. Leah and the Horae were all interesting characters, and I liked to see that play out, though certain aspects of the latter was intensely obvious, and again if Haven had only opened her eyes she probably would have realized early on. There's less Iain in this book, but Adam sort of makes up for it. It's sort of funny how in the last book Haven spent all her time second guessing Iain, and in this book she did so second guessing Adam. Seriously girl, just make up your mind. Make a decision and stick with it. Have some conviction. Also, at the end, did she seriously think she was just going to go in and say thanks to him? Did it ever occur to her that had he been in there, he'd want to leave with her this time? Especially considering she'd all but disbanded his enemies. All of the new characters and the mystery behind Adam was what had me turning the pages on this one, less so all the stuff about Beau and where he might be, because that was obvious from the get go. There was a nice somewhat twist at the end regarding that however that I enjoyed. I do also have a question now however, because while in the first book it's implied that not all souls come back, in this one it was a little more iffy. Before, I had the understanding that someone was only reborn when they felt a strong tether to this world, or some unfinished business, but in this book a few of the lines seemed to imply that everyone comes back for more than one life. Not sure I really like that. I also didn't like how so many people seemed to be Eternal Ones. It kind of detracts from the specialness and importance of the Ouroboros Society, as well as Haven, Iain, and even Adam. All in all, I do suggest reading this book, as well as the first in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment