Monday, April 22, 2013

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


* * *

This was one of those books that keeps getting better and better. At first, I started off thinking I was going to give it only two stars. The first hundred pages I didn't find very interesting, and it seemed to just drag on and on. I got annoyed with Perry for being so jealous that his brother caught food, especially because someone who really did want the best for the tribe wouldn't care how they were fed. However, I got over that the more we got to know Perry and Vale. Aria's worry for her mother made sense, but initially I didn't like her much because she went about finding out about Bliss in all the wrong ways I felt. Then by page one hundred I was going to give it three stars, by page one hundred and thirty it was four, and from pretty much there on it turned into five and stuck. This book ended up being phenomenal. The characters were all colorful and well rounded, and what's more believable. I could see exactly where each one was coming from, and the author never failed to keep each one in lines with their personality. I hate it when a writer warps a character and has them do something the reader feels they just wouldn't to suit their own needs. That didn't happen a single time in this book. I was pretty impressed by how easily the story flowed, and all the pieces clicked together, even ones that I weren't aware were pieces at all. I love Perry, and Aria, and even Roar. Being that I'm also not a huge fan of dystopian fiction, I'm really excited that I fell for this book so hard, and I can't wait to read the next one. I also ended up really liking the flip from POV from Aria and Perry. At first it seemed slightly tedious, though I've always loved multiple POV, but then it grew on me. The ending...wow, if it hadn't ended like that I was going to be so mad! :) All in all, I highly recommend this book! Just remember what I said about getting at least one hundred pages in first. It might seem to be going slow, but it picks up and doesn't stop rolling after that. In the end, everything, even the slow parts, make sense and it becomes obvious that they were very necessary.



No comments:

Post a Comment