Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


* * *

I ended up really liking this book. The plot was interesting and unique, and for the most part the characters were all very colorful. Turns out quiet Anna Whitt is more than she seems, which she discovers after going to a concert with her best friend Jay. I loved how the author incorporated being an empath with this story line, and it was very interesting in the beginning seeing how Anna dealt with being able to see and understand others emotions through colors. The blurb describes her as an, "ultimate good girl" and for the most part this seems to be true, so much so that there are times where I got really frustrated with her for being so naive. Then again, once I got to know Patti better, I couldn't really blame Anna any longer. I suppose if I was in a similar situation, I'd attempt to keep us away from temptation and anything "bad" as well, but it seemed like Patti had never heard that age old adage about needing to allow your child to make mistakes and give them room to breathe otherwise they'll end up rebelling. While Anna didn't rebel per say, she definitely began coming into her own and keeping things to herself. Which is also something we know from the start that she did. For Anna, it's clear there's a big difference between lying and withholding information. Though there was one point in the book where she actually says she doesn't lie even if someone asks her she's ok and she's not, yet a handful or so pages later she ends up doing just that to Jay. He asks her if she's alright and she lies and says she is. That bothered me a little. Either make her ok with telling little white lies, or don't mention it at all. There's really no both ways with something like that, because then it makes it feel like Anna is actually lying to me, the reader. The middle of the book with the road trip was probably my favorite part. Higgins pulled off writing the timeline for that perfectly. I didn't feel like any of it was rushed, or took too long. It explained what was going on, focused on the important interactions between the two of them, and skated over (while still supplying enough details that I knew what they were doing) those parts that didn't bear a full on display. Which was probably why the end of the book was so disappointing for me. Kaidan sends her away and she goes, for one that makes it feel like all that progress she'd just made was moot. Then they don't talk for a while, talk again, don't, etc. etc. She pretty much "realizes" that it's over between them two or three times, which just seemed repetitive. I also really hated that the last part of the book rushed through four or five months. That felt pointless to me. I understand that the author wanted to get the main "bam" moment of the plot to fall on New Years, but it just didn't work for me at all. I felt like not only was I missing a lot of what was going on in their lives, but it also seemed ridiculous how poorly she was still reacting to not being with Kaidan by then. I couldn't buy into it, which sucked. That's also why I dropped from five stars to four. If the ending wasn't so rushed, I might have loved this book instead of just really really liked it. Certain points of the plot line other than this seemed forced as well, like characters are just doing what the author wants them to instead of what their personalities imply they would, however most of these are easily looked over, and don't deter from enjoying the story. For an interesting twist on the Angel/Demon concept, I do recommend this book. Even with the ending I was pulled right into the story, and can't wait to find out what happens next.



No comments:

Post a Comment