Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Daynight by Megan Thomason

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Meet Kira Donovan. Fiercely loyal, overly optimistic, and ensnared by the promise of a full-ride college scholarship, Kira signs the SCI Recruit contract to escape memories of a tragedy that left her boyfriend and friends dead.

Meet Blake Sundry. Bitter about being raised in Exile and his mother’s death, Blake’s been trained to infiltrate and destroy the SCI. Current barrier to success? His Recruit partner—Miss Goody Two Shoes Kira Donovan.

Meet Ethan Darcton. Born with a defective heart and resulting inferiority complex, Ethan’s forced to do his SCI elite family’s bidding. Cleave-worthy Kira Donovan catches his eye, but the presiding powers give defect-free Blake Sundry first dibs.

Full of competing agendas, romantic entanglements, humor, twists and turns, daynight is Megan Thomason’s debut young adult dystopian novel and first in the daynight series

* * *

I tried really hard to like this as much as everyone else seemed to. Unfortunately, something about it just didn't click with me. I found it really hard to get into, what with all the back tracking and the multiple points of view. Usually, I love multiple POVs, but for some reason it just got a little too much for me with this book. Half the time I just wished we'd stuck in Kira and Blake's head to narrow it down some. Also, there were a lot of times where we'd be in a moment and the character would be recalling what had just happened a few hours before. It felt too much like through this I was being told what was going on instead of shown, which made me lose interest. Over all, I loved the idea behind this book, and the set up of the SCI and what they're all about. It was definitely a grabbing concept, I guess I just wish there was more to Kira in the beginning. Certain places felt forced, and then in others it was like information was just being heaped on me. It got better further into the story; that and the concept is why I'm giving this three stars instead of two. A lot of people liked it, it just wasn't for me, so I still suggest you all checking it out. If I had to put it by numbers, I think about forty percent in was where it picked up for me, so all you have to do is make it halfway and it's better.



No comments:

Post a Comment