Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1) by Michelle Rowen

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

I don't do dangerous.

Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...


* * *

Deciding what to rate this book was actually really hard for me. On the one hand, I read more than half of it in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. On the other hand, there were things about it that I didn't really like so much. Yet, at the same time, the thought of giving it less than five stars didn't sit right with me so...Usually I save the five star rating for books that I LOVE, as in, can't live without kinda love. While this book was amazing, I'm not sure if my devotion goes that far. I did love the plot; this was probably the most interesting telling of a story where demons and angels have to work together. I really liked the main character as well. There were a few times where she does something that I get frustrated about, but within the next twenty pages she always seems to make up for it. I like that. It gives her depth but also makes sure that we know she's not an idiot. She's confused because of her situation and doesn't know who to trust. I do feel that the blurb is a little misleading when talking about how she's this "goody-goody" because that's not really her. At all. She's not terrible, but she isn't the (excuse the pun) little angel that the blurb makes her out to be either. For one, she's shoplifted before. Not really something someone who's boring and "ubber-careful" would do. I also don't think someone "ubber-careful" would get that close to a complete stranger in the beginning. The person that Sam actually ends up being though, I really like her. She keeps saying that she doesn't have enough courage, yet she's constantly walking into the fray. I felt that there was a really could portrayal of inner battling going on. She wasn't quite sure who to trust or who to be. The relationships between her and the others, as well as the others among themselves, was really interesting. I love Bishop and Kraven both. There were a lot of plot twists as well, some that seemed obvious and turned out not to be, and others that I didn't really see coming at all. In the end, we were left with just as many answers as questions, yet at the same time were given enough to feel satisfied but still wanting more. I bought the second book almost immediately after finishing this last night so that says something. I guess the fact that I can't really think of that much more to say about it proves that I did love it, because that always happens with a book that I really like. I don't want to give too much of it away. Again though, for those of you who might be avoiding this because it seems like Sam is just another one of those "quiet, meek, goody-goody girls" don't buy into it. She really isn't. Is she a badass? I wouldn't go that far (though she does have her moments) but it's clear that this first book is about her coming into her own. I feel like in the second she'll probably leave even more of that sugar sweet cliche good girl behind. I've been reading a bunch of books on angels lately, and I've got to say that this is probably my favorite so far. The only downside might be the insta-love that takes place, but then again...the guy is an angel. I can't be all that sure I wouldn't fall instantly in love with a hot knife wielding angel myself. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment