Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nevermore (Nevermore #1) by Kelly Creagh

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

* * *


Wow. I'm stunned by how much I loved this book! Seriously, couldn't get enough of it. The characters are so vivid, and the world that Kelly Creagh's created...simply wow. This book has been sitting on my TBR goodreads shelf for a while now, and I only purchased it after a fellow goodreads friend recommended it. If this happens to be the case with any of you--that you've been planning to maybe get to it and just haven't yet--STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING/READING RIGHT NOW! I mean it. I don't think I've ever meant anything more in fact. The concept of a goth kid and a preppy cheerleader girl isn't exactly unknown to the world, however, the way this is pulled of works brilliantly, and even manages to make it unique. I love Varen's character, yet at the same time I also love Isobel, which is awesome. Lot's of the time only one of the main characters ends up being amazing, but in this book both of them are. They each have great personalities (not to mention chemistry with each other) and neither is too ashamed to stand for what they believe in. I think what I love most about this book is that it didn't take sides, it wasn't that all of the preps were mean and the goths were just misunderstood. They all had their moments, just as they all weren't bad or good in the broader sense of the word. It's the same with both Isobel and Varen. There are moments where she does something you don't agree with just as there are where he does something you don't. Because of this they come off as real individuals, and the reader is easily able to forget that they're actually made up. And the way she mixed Poe in there...I'm gonna say it again, wow. I'm a huge fan of Poe and have been since I was around ten years old. I have the huge book of his collective works, and I've always been fascinated by his writing. With the way she was able to spin this, I now feel that Creagh is a literary god(dess). It's so creative and just plain brilliant the creatures and the twists that she comes up with. She doesn't just throw information at you either, so everything you learn you do so cohesively with the rest of the story. There's just the right mixture of action and suspense as there is romance. The only problem I had with the story was that Isobel's friends all turned on her rather quickly, there wasn't a single one who stood by her side. While this is how Gwen got worked in, I feel like she should have had at least one friend who wasn't completely a jerk. Then again, it did add to the parallels between her and Varen, that in the end they're both actually lonely. Anyway, it's always harder for me to right a review for a book that I love because I don't want to give anything away. Basically, I'd recommend this book to everyone. If you haven't yet experienced Poe then this is a great opportunity to do so while in a setting you might like more, and if you have and are a fan like me, you won't be disappointed by this. Creagh does a great job holding true to Poe, even if she did add a little more oomph to his life, or more so, the ending of it. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment