Saturday, March 23, 2013

Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alysa Rosy Ivy

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.

* * *

I was immediately drawn into this book. In the first few chapters the characters were extremely interesting and the setting was vivid. I could picture everything in my mind, and I wanted to know more of where the story was going. Allie brings along her best friend, Jess, and in the first two chapters the differences in their personalities help to give each of them more individuality. However, by the third chapter things kept happening that made the book less enjoyable for me. For one, at the beginning of this chapter it's mentioned that they're out drinking. They're only eighteen, and legally the drinking age for New Orleans was changed to twenty-one in the early 90s so...Not likely. At least if it was brought up that they'd found a bar that was still serving them anyway, or that they some how snuck in, it would have been fine, but because it wasn't I felt instantly jarred from the story. As the reader, I don't want there to be any moments where I'm questioning whether or not the events in the book could really happen, whether it's about people with wings or just getting served alcohol. Later on, the author passes up the perfect opportunity to describe Levi to us after he apparently takes her in. The line there is, from Allie's point of view is, "Normally I would call a guy on mentally undressing me, but I was too busy taking my own inventory." Except we never get what that inventory is. It would have been much better if she'd taken the time to show us what he looks like, especially because he was just introduced. There are a bunch of instances where this is the case, an opportune moment to draw the reader in through detail is passed up. The few things I mentioned above I could get over, but the scene where Levi finally tells her what he is....Not so much. It was much too brief, and not at all believable. Firstly, it was sort of impersonal for him to do it in front of his entire crew, and secondly, the whole ordeal was described in only a couple of pages. Right after she just asks to go home. Up until this point she's been fighting her attraction to Levi, but after she finds out he has wings she's completely done a one-eighty. It's like now that she knows he's supernatural she wants to be with him. That comes off as pretty shallow. Speaking of, the situation with Jess and Levi's friend was loads of shallow. It was a convenient way of getting rid of Jess though, but sadly it was obvious that's all it was. By then I didn't even like her friend anyway, and honestly I'm not too impressed with Levi either. He and his friends just seem like alpha-jerks in the first half and that gets old really fast. Last issue I had, he explains that at one point in their past, their people could turn fully into birds, but they've since evolved and now only have wings. How is that evolving? I think that a bird would be harder to spot than a man with wings attached to his back. I feel instead that if they'd developed the ability to do both, either transform completely or just have wings that would be an evolution.The reason I gave this book three stars is because the beginning really did make a lasting impression on me. I won't say much about the ending because I don't want to give it away, especially because this is part of a longer series. I'm not positive I'll take the time to read the next book, but I'm not writing it off as an impossibility either. My suggestion would be to check it out, but don't pay too much attention to the details otherwise it'll drive you crazy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment