Sunday, March 31, 2013

Everbound (Everneath #2) by Brodi Ashton

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.

In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love.


* * *

HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I did not really like the first book, Everneath. Really, the only reason I even bothered with this one was because the premise of the story is so interesting I had hopes that it would improve. Through the first 150 pages, I kept thinking to myself, "Ugh, why am I doing this again?" and completely planned on giving it two stars at most. But then something strange happened, something that that far into a book doesn't usually. It got...good. No, better then good. It actually got kind of great. I was completely drawn in all of a sudden and the next thing I know I've read another hundred pages without coming up for air. I was so close to giving up on Brodi Ashton, but the last 2/3 of this book changed my mind. Finally, the story actually begins to take off and we're actually shown something other then a bunch of old stuff that's already happened. That's the other thing, unlike with the first book where the flashbacks were more tedious then anything else, they actually worked in this one. I didn't feel bombarded by them and each memory was carefully selected so that it really fit in with what was going on in the now, without getting in the way of the flow of the story. And that ending. Wow. I love that ending. If for no other reason that ending really did it for me. In the beginning I was a little turned off because of how easy it seemed to be for her, but it all makes sense the further in it goes. After the first 150 pages I would give this book FIVE stars! Many of the pieces from the beginning really came together in this book, so not only are we given answers that we needed but we're also allowed to explore more of this world that she's created. Seeing where the Everlivings come from was fantastic, and that's really where Ashton has her strong suit. She can spin the inner and outer parts of a world unknown to us, and make me believe that it actually exists. If there was more of this type stuff in the first book, I have no doubt more people would have liked it and given this one a chance. I'm certainly glad that I didn't throw in the towel, that's for sure. That last part, the last thing Becks says, however, I'm not really on board with. I sort of hope she isn't successful there simply because it would mean the end of a lot of lives. Sure, they take lives to survive, but at the same token it was mentioned in the first book that a lot of those people are planning on committing suicide anyway so...That's probably horrible of me to say. I think I've just turned dark side and gone Everliving because of Cole. Who I might just be in love with, despite the fact he's total wicked incarnate. Basically, there's adventure, romance, twists, and ALL of the characters in this book are fleshed out, making it WAY WAY WAY better then the first book. I'm actually excited for the third one to come out so I can see what's going to happen. All you have to do is get past the first 150 pages of blah, yes, it sounds like a lot, but TRUST ME, in the end you'll be so glad you did. Think of it as...one of the three ring's you have to surpass in order to make it to the tunnels. That might help. :) Jack's at the center, after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment