Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)Review By Jacey

A Sacred Oath
A Fallen Angel
A Forbidden Love

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him, against her better judgement.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her that her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to see some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen--and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


***
Alright, so after hearing so much about this book, I decided I, too, wanted to get a peek at what everyone was talking about. Additionally, the idea of fallen angels has always been a concept that I've found intriguing (one of my favorite books is Paradise Lost, the main antagonist being a fallen angel and its opening an illustration of the entire court of fallen angels) and loved seeing the alternative perspective that clashes with the right and just order of angels that side with God. When I heard this incorporated romantic elements between angel and human, some part of me was worried that an edginess and awesome sickness that fallen angels seem to exude would be compromised in this. I take ALL of those hesitations and notions back at this time.

As much as I tried, I seriously could NOT put this book down for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I'm usually an incredibly slow reader, and I'll admit I haven't been completely been addicted to a book to the extent that I'd lock myself in my room, accepting meager bites of soup and  sips of hot chocolate since I was still into Harry Potter in 8th grade. This book changed that, and before I knew it, I had read all 391 pages in one day and night. I've complained in previous posts that some authors bomb when it comes to doing the first person view; Fitzpatrick PERFECTS it, giving her protagonist, Nora, a personality that you fall in love with while still completely and wonderfully illustrating her romantic counterpart. On top of that, Patch is not just a bad boy, but one of the most unique that I've encountered. You know from the get-go ok, this guys has a past, he's mysterious, he's got issues, but you're not left with just mystery or a dude who seems like a jerk. This guy IS, 100 percent, a bona-fide JERK. Fitzpatrick, or Patch rather, makes that no secret. And yet somehow deep down, whenever Nora storms off or Patch vanishes from the page, you're just waiting for him to come back onstage. Like....nonstop waiting for him. Vee even, who you're not really supposed to really like, I fell in love with her presence because I wonderfully hated it. Fitzpatrick's characters are just amazing, and the chemistry between them all were a joy to read. 

The only issue I had with this was by the time the climax rolls around, the reader is bombarded by information that maybe should have been dropped along towards the end, piece by piece. It was like sensory overload, and I found myself re-reading the last few chapters just so I could put it all together in my head. That aside, this book was amazing, and I cannot wait to find out more of Patch's world in the second book.

Don't forget! Sign up for our cover contest below!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment