Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


* * *

I put off reading this book for a really long time because I didn't think I was going to like it. I more then liked it. I pretty much loved it. I'm really picky about books that have angels in them, just because there's a fine line between captivating and cheesy, but this book was definitely the first. I loved the characters and how well rounded each of them were. They had their own distinct personalities, their own way of talking and acting, and it was very easy to pick up on that. Nora was an interesting main character with a back story that I was always happy to learn more about. A lot of the times authors don't know when to place that sort of information, and the reader is left with just a lot of stuff on the past that isn't necessary for what is currently going on. That wasn't the case here, and I found it refreshing to find that Fitzpatrick knew just when and where to place these details. It's the same with Patch's character and finding out more about him. We aren't just bombarded with info on him, and what's more, he and Nora don't just fall instantly in love with one another. They're attracted to each other, and that's obvious, but there's this great give and take that goes on between them. Patch also isn't the typical cookie-cutter "hero" either, which works perfectly. I love that he's snarky and has an attitude. I also really like that we don't always know where he stands. He fits into the role of a fallen angel, not all goody-goody, but not a horrible person incapable of redemption either. A lot of stuff happens in this book, so there's always something going on that draws the reader in. I found that a single event could take up thirty pages yet I wouldn't even notice because it was written so well. It was so easy to engage in this story, and I love the way Fitzpatrick easily draws us into Nora's head from the get go and keeps us there, even when we're totally frustrated with her for her less then fresh decisions. That was pretty much my one problem with this book. Nora was constantly stepping up only to back right back down a second later. She'd ask an important question, and then a second later go, "I have to leave", without even getting an answer. Those kind of details I feel could have been given to us a little more fluidly. I don't mind not knowing a major piece of information until the very end, but I don't constantly want it dangling in front of my face, one minute making me think I'm going to find out and the next proving otherwise. Other then that one thing though, I loved this book. I'm pretty surprised by how much, especially because the past three or so I've read got only three stars from me. I even went out yesterday and bought the second book just so I can keep reading! I would without a doubt recommend this, even to those who, like me, think it might not be their thing. I gave it a try and I wasn't disappointed. I love it when authors prove me wrong.



Don't miss out! Sign up for our cover contest below!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment