Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chosen (Daughters of the Sea, #3) by Kristen Day

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

The essence of who we are lies not in what we have, but in what we are willing to give up. Because in the end, Time and Tide wait for no one.

After sacrificing all that she had, the evil princess of the Underworld is still successful in her bid to tear Finn from Stasia’s life. In the midst of her search to reclaim him, Stasia is summoned to the island nation of Cyprus to take part in an age-old ritual; unveiling the missing pieces of her ancestry and re-igniting an ancient war. As she struggles to both save Finn’s soul and free Carmen’s mind, Stasia’s bravery and determination will be pushed to its breaking point. A dark storm is forming on the horizon, and the forces who are vying to destroy her may be much closer than she thinks. Destiny weaves a sticky web of evil, betrayal, and revenge that can only be undone by the purity of love and the soul’s unyielding will to survive. In the last installment of the Daughters of the Sea trilogy, the past will collide with the present as Stasia’s future hangs in the balance. The prophecy that paved the way for her new life may indeed be the very thing that strips her of the ones she loves the most.


* * *

Just want to make a quick comment on how much I love the new covers for this and the first two books in this trilogy! They look AMAZING! Ok, now that that's off my chest, to the review. I've been in literal love with these characters since the very first book, Forsaken. Stasia is an amazing MC who has a lot of heart and personality, which makes it very easy to fall into her world and not only believe it truly exists, but care for it as well. From early on I felt the exact same pull towards her three best friends, Willow, Carmen, and Phoebe, not to mention her paramour Finn. Stasia is probably one of my favorite female lead characters of all time in fact, and this trilogy as a whole has made it to my top list. That being said, I did find myself liking this book a little less then the first two. There isn't really any one thing I can put my finger on as to explain the why however. All of the amazing characters where there, the great writing, and the action and twisting story line. I think it might have something to do with how everything sort of had to come rushing out in this book in order to be able to wrap the story up. At times I felt like information was being forced on me, and it disrupted the flow of things. Another major issue I had (and this is really just a personal thought then anything else) was that we never really had any closure with her "family" from the first book. We have this horrible step sister and this pushy step mom who clearly doesn't understand her, but they sort of just fell off the map. We have no idea what's happened to them, if Stasia is ever going to see them again (though of course I'd assume so) and how/if she's going to do something about her "sister". Yes, she just faced off a sea goddess but still. I'd like to have a little closure in regards to the first challenge of hers we were presented with, and that was her human family. I thought that it would have been a great way to the end the book if in the epilogue we saw them all together. Another thing is with Selene we also didn't really see anything definitive happen. Did she just give up then? Stasia and Keto fought but Selene basically just stands around. Not very impressive. HOWEVER I loved some of the twists in this book, and like I mentioned before, the writing style. What always drew me in before were those softer scenes between Stasia and some of the other characters which really allowed us to see the connections between them. A few of the scenes with her and Finn in this book were amazing. They were beautiful, detailed, and intensely well written. I literally felt like I was there with them. I also loved how other then the two instances mentioned above, all the other characters got great closure. I was so glad to see all of them end up happy and with someone that they loved. Stasia's progression throughout this trilogy was great, and I could really see all the ways her personality was growing and morphing. I loved that. This is definitely a trilogy I'll read again and again, and Kristen Day has without a shadow of a doubt found another fan for life to add to the growing list. I don't even need to read the blurb's from here on of anything else she decided to gift us with. If I see it's written by her I'll read it.


Don't forget to check the giveaways link above to sign up to win free books! Also, check out our contests, the link of which is also up there to win free paperback books!


No comments:

Post a Comment