Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Gatekeeper's Challenge (Gatekeeper's Trilogy #2) by Eva Pohler

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Ten agonizing months have gone by since Therese faced off against her parents’ murderer at Mount Olympus, and she suspects Thanatos’s absence is meant to send her a message: go on with your life. She tries to return Pete’s affections even though her heart aches for the god of death, but when Than shows up to take her hamster’s soul, she becomes infuriated when he says he’s “been busy.” In cahoots with her new friend, who's gotten in with the Demon Druggies at school, Therese takes a drug that simulates a near-death experience, planning to tell Than off so she can have closure and move on, but things go very, very wrong.

Eventually she learns Than has been busy searching for a way to make her a god, and he’s found it, but it requires her to complete a set of impossible challenges designed by Hades, who hopes to see her fail.

* * *

Let me just start off by saying that I did like this book more then the first in this series. I sat down and I read in a day because it's much shorter then the first. We were brought back to Therese's world and presented with characters that we knew. Even though it's been ten months since the last time they've seen each other, Than and Therese are still very much in love. I think what I wanted more of in this book is the "why" part of that. I want to know more about why they're in love with each other. It happened really quickly in my mind, and ten months is a long time (for Therese I mean) to start moving on. Obviously I'm glad she didn't otherwise there wouldn't be a book, I'm just saying in terms of the really intense ending, I would have liked to see more of a lead up to that point. That was really...a big deal. I've been in love before, albiet not with a greek god, but I don't think I've ever been in love enough to even consider lighting myself on fire like he asks her to think about. That's another thing, I understand that if he's willing to be torn a part once every year he thinks she should be willing to light herself on fire, but isn't that still just a little selfish of him? The beginning was a little slow. I feel like in the first book, there were a lot of parts that just didn't need to be there. It was mostly filler information that I could have done without. I would have liked it if the story had just jumped right into it, like how I assumed it would be based on the blurb for the book. However, once it did get into the challenges part, I was really interested again. They were all written very well with lots of detail to help me really picture the setting and the characters in them. I'm not really buying the whole, "everything constantly wants to die around her" bit, but other then that all of the bad things that take place make sense and are believable. I am glad that there was more to Vicki in this book, though I think a lot of the scenes with her fall under the filler catagory. The ending happened way too abruptly, and by that I mean she was tricked way to easily. I think that if the author cut out those parts that didn't really need to be there, and lengthed the challenges, or even just gave us more scenes with the gods, then it would be better. Still, I'm glad that I read it, and I do really want to read the next and final book. I am curious to see how Therese and Than get out of this one, that's for sure. I would recommend this book, and the first one in the trilogy, to anyone who's interested in Greek mythology and adventure. If there's one thing that I absolutly loved about this trilogy so far, it's Pohler's amazing take and insight on Greek myth. It's obvious she knows her stuff, and I love that about this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment