Thursday, January 17, 2013

Swoon (Swoon, #1) by Nina Malkin

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Sin is coming... Prepare to Swoon.Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him—but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent—and irresistible—adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?


* * *



This book possessed me. And not in a good way. I kept thinking to myself, why am I still reading this? It's like Sin really was real and just wouldn't let me stop no matter how bad the book was. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, I mean, I did finish it at least, but it really wasn't good either. First of all, the writing style. There was a lot of telling and not enough showing. There were many parts where I had to stop and back track just to figure out what was going on because she didn't just let us see it. Things were vague, or brushed over, so I didn't know where the characters were or what they were talking about. An example of this is one scene in which apparently Dice, Pen, and Sin all get sucked into the past. At first, I had no idea that Pen somehow had gotten drawn there with them. It just wasn't described well enough. I don't want to spend half my time deciphering the author's words. Another issue I had was how quickly Dice "fell in love" with him. They'd only had three conversations, and yes, while his story was a sad one, that doesn't really merit her falling in love with him. I wanted there to be more to it, a stronger connection between the two of them, or at least more encounters before she decided that what she felt for him was love and not just heavy like. Then there's the whole take on CTer's. I'm from Connecticut. I also have friends who live in New York. I don't classify everyone from New York as a "stay out all night partier " so everyine in CT shouldn't have been classified as a "blond socoliate" in this book. Are there areas in CT where there are socialites? Yes. But, um, hello? Upper East side anyone? There are areas like that everywhere, and instead of specifying that this happened to be one of those places in CT, the book kept talking about the state as a whole. I don't really even see why everyone needed to be blond. They had to be a rich community in general in order for Sin to do his whole "see what you really are" act, but seriously with the blond? I'm pretty sure there was even a comment (or something like it) where Dice was talking about how everyone down there, in typical CT fashion, was blond. I'm a brunette. I mean, even Marsh was a blond. The story didn't flow very well, it was way too vague in places it just shouldn't have been, and Dice's first person narrative was just way to repetitive for my tastes. I get it. One last thing I didn't like, the way Sin's story, and later Hannah's story, was told. Yes, it was good to get to really see the events first hand, but at the same time, Sin explaining his sordid past to Dice would have been the perfect moment to really show the two of them connecting. Instead, we kept being tossed back from a third person narrative to first person. I didn't like it, and it made me feel disconnected somehow. I couldn't feel as badly for him, or later for Hannah when we briefly see the story sort of from her perspective (another moment in the book where everything is so vague I had to reread like five times). I just felt these were perfect moments for us to really see the characters connect with one another, but we didn't get that. HOWEVER, despite all the things I didn't like about this book, there were a few things I did like. The idea of using golems for one. Not many people do that, and in fact, not many people really know much about the golem myth's anymore. I liked that the author chose to use one here, going the more unique route in that respect. I also still really like the concept of the book. Also, I loved how we didn't find out what happened to Ruby until the end. With that part of the story, it really worked in Malkin's favor to leave it to the end. Back to the whole possession thing, while I really did not enjoy reading this book, I still feel incredibly compelled to read the second for some reason so...more then likely I will. It wasn't that I was drawn into the story, I think it's more of that I already spent all that time reading the first half of it, I don't want that to be a complete and total waste so want to know what happens next. I think this is one book that I really should have read the other reviews of before purchasing.

Don't forget to join our giveaway below!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment