Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Reviewed by Tempest.

blurb:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

* * *

Hey everyone! So, sorry I fell off the map for a while there! Things got crazy what with the holidays and my new job (yay :)) Clearly Katy-the main character in Obsidian- is a much better blogger then I. ;) Anywho, I should be back with the reviews, at least in the sense that you'll get at least one every week. I'm already almost finished with another book now so I'll be posting another one maybe Friday. :) Anyone who's interested in checking out my trilogy, currently there's a R2R on goodreads! I think you can find the link on its goodreads page, All That We See or Seem by Tempest C. Avery. I'm also up for giving away review copies so if you're interested and miss out on the R2R feel free to send me a message (preferably on goodreads)! But now, back to the review!

I loved this book. Really. Couldn't put it down. Read it in one sitting. After going through a short lull period in the reading department, I was a little worried when I picked this book up but soon found my doubt was seriously miss placed. I loved everything about this story. The characters, the plot, the dialogue...it was all great. I was instantly sucked right in and could picture everything vividly. The author did a great job of rounding each individual character out, giving them their own distinct personality. Daemon should be real. He's definitely made it to my list of characters I wish were actually alive. I loved his snarky comments and his bad attitude because despite what he said it was always still clear where he was coming from and why. It was easy to see that he wasn't a bad guy, even while as the reader I was getting frustrated at him for some of the things he said and did to Katy. There were times I'd literally stop and go, "he really just said that. Wowwww." I'm not a huge fan of alien stories. Everyone who knows me knows this. I looooved the tv show Roswell, however. Still do. I think mostly the reason behind this is because it took the alien angle to a different level then most do. The aliens were all very "human" in the sense that they had emotions and morals. They cared about people and things, looked out for one another and others. That's what I loved about this book, probably why despite the alien concept I'm adding this to my favs list. The story was incredibly believable, like it could really happen and it did really happen. That's when you know an author is great at what they do, when they can make the reader believe in something that otherwise isn't believable. I got completely lost in this world and these characters, and when it was over I found myself rereading the last page a few times just because I didn't want it to be the end. I instantly went out and purchased the second book, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I would without a doubt recommend this book to anyone who'd interested in reading something with action, romance, and tons of wit. All in all, Armentrout has definitely won me over. I'll be purchasing anything with her name on it in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment