Monday, January 28, 2013

Death and the Girl Next Door (Darklight, #1) by Darynda Jones

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace.  Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home.  For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be.  Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it,  standing outside her house in the dark, night after night.  Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school.  Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity.  What does Jared know about her parents?  Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei?  And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real?  Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment
.
* * *

So in reality, I would give this book 4.5 stars, but because that isn't possible here, I went with 4. I really liked it a lot, but a five star rating to me means that I loved it more then breathing. That wasn't really the case. Oxygen is still my bestie over this book. I've never read anything by Darynda Jones before, and know that she's originally an adult book writer. That being said, I think she did a pretty good job with teen fiction, though there were some points that I was like, huh? Some details get lost among the constantly divulging plot. More and more information keeps getting added on before the info we'd just been given could really be explained fully. The book was also absolutely nothing like what the blurb made me expect it to be. In some ways that's a really good thing, because had I known it was about angels I more then likely would not have picked it up and I would have missed out on a great story. I'm not a huge fan of books about angels. I'm really picky about them, so when I do like one I think that means something about the author's ability to tell a story. I think that it was played out really well in this book. I was interested in what was happening, and there were a lot of really great supportive characters. I do admit I thought there would be some sort of love triangle going on, but there wasn't. This book was different, with a lot of elements coming together to form one plot, and I liked that about it. Sometimes it seemed like just a little too much, but it was easy to get over that because the main character was interesting. I am looking forward to reading the second book, and would recommend this to anyone who's just in the mood for a relaxing fun book to breeze through.


Don't forget to join our giveaway below!!! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment