Monday, November 5, 2012

Red and her Wolf (Kingdom #3) by Marie Hall

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Long ago there lived a beautiful child. Her name was Violet. Fair of skin, with blonde hair and large blue eyes. Born of wild magic, she was a woman with a child’s heart. Innocent and lovely, but not at all what she seemed--you see Violet went by another name: The Heartsong.

She was the child of fairy magic, the physical manifestation of all fae kinds unbridled power. Cosseted and pampered, she grew up in isolation, never knowing who she really was, or why there were those who’d seek to harm her.

Ewan of the Blackfoot Clan is a wolf with a problem. He’s been sent to kill the Heartsong, but the moment he lays eyes on the blonde beauty he knows he’ll defy the evil fae he works for to claim Violet as his own.

This is the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf, as it really happened...

* * *

So I just want to mention that I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review, and I also got another one of her books as well. I signed up for this one through a R2R so I read it first, which means I will be reviewing the series slightly out of order. Oops. Lol. But hopefully no big.

This was a somewhat short read that I enjoyed. In the beginning with all the fairies I was a little turned off, there just seemed to be too much going on too quickly and it was hard to grasp on to. However, as soon as we get to Alaska and see Violet again the story quickly settles into its own. I loved how complex her character was. She was good...yet, not good. She came about from evil...yet didn't need to be evil. It was a great combination that had me wondering throughout the story what she was going to decide to do about who she was, and how she was going to end up doing it. I also really liked Ewan. He was strong, and a little controlling, but also very tender and understanding. When he finds out the truth about Red he treads carefully, which was good because it showed that she really should be taken seriously. Again, all of the different fairies confused me a little, but at the same time their storyline was also important and once it came down to really only needing to follow two of them things got smoother. Jana not actually caring about Red was a little confusing, too, because we didn't see enough of her to know anything. Then we were kind of just told that she was guarding the Heartsong but thought the whole time she was evil. Unless I somehow managed to get that wrong, in which case I apologize. Either way, I loved the magical aspects of this story, and the fresh way this and other fairy tales were spun. The world Hall's created was vivid and colorful. When they entered the witch's woods from Hansel and Gretal I could literally picture the gum drop leaves and everything. I'm glad I have another one of her books to read, because I'm definitely hooked now. I recommend this to anyone who has a couple hours and really wants to get immersed into a good story.  Also just as a side note, loooove the cover! :)



Don't forget to join our current giveaway below!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment