Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Past Lies by Kim Rees

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

The lies were no protection. Not anymore Anna Shrewsbury is trapped. The whims of her sister control her life. She wants to be free and she thought her brother-in-law had helped her find freedom with his last act. But instead, she seems to be the butt of one of his infamous jokes. She now has a half share in a company she doesn't want, while her childhood home and her promised sanctuary is bequeathed to a man who hates her. And then theres the deal. She has to live a week with him. A whole week with Zachary Quinn. For six years, a shield of lies has protected Anna. But in beginning a new life, she must break away from those lies. Be prepared to face Zachs fury. And his passion Warning, this title contains the following: more sexual tension than you can shake a stick at.

* * *

For those of you who are wondering, this is the same author who wrote Dark Dealings, a book that I reviewed the 7th. (You can find it below). I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I love this author. :) This book instantly throws you right into the story, with Anna and Zach at a wake and the two of them instantly at odds with one another. One thing I really liked about this book was the fact that all the answers aren't just tossed at us from the get-go. We have to keep reading in order to find out why Anna let these rumors start about herself, and why Zach let her get away in the first place. Sometimes that doesn't work for the author, and things end up just being really confusing and annoying, but I felt that Kim Rees did a great job with that here. It definitely kept me reading, that's for sure. Another thing I loved is that that Anna and Zach both have distinct personalities. They're so different from one another that it's highly believable that they clash, despite the fact they're attracted. He's got this great cold demeanor about him, and the descriptions were brilliant. I could always picture exactly what type of facial expression he was making at each given time, which was great. There was also the way that we got into his head to see his point of view, and by doing so could see exactly how he thought Anna felt. That was always a lot of fun to read because the two of them almost never guessed what the other was thinking right. Anna was likable, even though I don't think i'd make a lot of the same choices as her. There were times I just wanted to stop her and be like, seriously? No! But all of those times worked, and I never wanted to put the book down because of them so...It definitely was a great way to engage the reader. The only problems I had with this were that her and her sisters relationship wasn't explained a little more detailed, like why she's forced under her thumb. I gathered that their parents died young and so Sophia, who is older, was forced to take care of her. That being said, I still don't understand why at the age of 25 she couldn't have just gone out and gotten a job and her own place by now. Or moved away. I mean, I'm obviously glad she didn't otherwise there would be no story, just couldn't help but wonder. Anywho, all in all, I loved this book and the characters, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a good sit down (because you will not stop reading until it's finished).



No comments:

Post a Comment