Monday, November 26, 2012

Dreamwalker (Persephone's League of Immortals #1) by Andrea Heltsley

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Noel Kennedy lost her boyfriend, her job and her dignity all in one week. Then something happened and she began to dream of this stranger she had never met. She couldn’t resist the man of her dreams named Jared especially when she met him in real life. Entranced, she slowly unraveled a world she was meant to stay out of. Her life was not what she thought it was once a sexy Boone stepped into the mix and shook things up. Can she escape a life of servitude or immortality for a chance at love?

* * *


So I have to admit, I really didn't like this book (love the cover though). I hated the main character, the dialogue was stilted and forced, and the storyline itself moved either way too quickly or way too slowly, I haven't really decided yet. Let's start at the beginning, the main character Noel (which is a cool name, I like that) has been dating this guy Brad for about three years now when he brings her to a restaurant really close to her apartment and breaks up with her. Ok, so the guy didn't even bother going to the door to get her, just stayed outside by the car, so yes, you get right off the bat he's kinda a jerk. Then the way he breaks up with her is pretty horrible, and definitely not the type of break up you'd expect from someone you'd been dating for three years. HOWEVER, this is really the only time we see Brad, who is supposed to be this giant jerk. She later calls him, "selfish, and arrogant" going on to say, "It was a wonder I didn't see it sooner." Well so far, sure he broke up with her poorly, but I'm not really seeing anything to prove that she was worth him still dating. And on top of that, if he's really this bad how is it she didn't see it before? She's realizing it now, which is good, but a few examples here, like her remembering other times he was acting really rude to her, would have been helpful to sell this idea. Moving on, then because she's so upset about her break up, she stays home from work without calling for three days. Seriously? She's calling Brad selfish yet she's blowing off her boss without even so much as a word? That's not cool, and what's more, it does not make me feel for the character. In fact, if anything, it makes me like her a whole lot less. She doesn't even tell her bestfriend about it, which would be ok-sometimes I need to stew over something before I tell my bestfriend too-except whenever you see Noel and Autumn together (at least in the beginning) it just always seems like Noel is blowing her off. As long as they're talking about her its fine, but the second Autumn wants to talk about her witchy side or anything really meaningful to her, she gets snapped at. Take for instance later on when she shows up after having slept with this guy she really likes and has liked for a long time. Noel just snaps at her. She apologizes afterwards, and Autumn forgives her and moves on, but in my mind the damage is already done. So far, if I were Brad, I would have dumped her too. Not that she actually stays upset over that for that long. She was so distraught she couldn't even bother to call out of work, but within a few days she's ready to go out and have sex with anyone she meets. Wow. She finally shows up at her place of work only to have a three sentence conversation with her boss before being fired, to which she and her friend actually have the audacity to call him a pain in the ass. Um...she missed THREE DAYS OF WORK without calling out. He's completely justified, in fact, he was a lot nicer then he had to be/should have been. This girl clearly just thinks she should get whatever she wants. She should have tried to come up with something to keep her job, and she also should have felt a lot worse for making him cover all of her shifts just so he could keep his business running. That whole scene went way too quickly. When she has a dream about "killing" her bestfriend, she doesn't care enough. She's more concerned over HER guilt at doing it and less over the fact that now her friend is DEAD. Hello. Going back to Autumn and her interest in magic, Noel is constantly brushing her aside, and we're told that she's been doing this their entire friendship. She's clearly a skeptic, YET at the same time, she's totally ok with the idea of a man she saw in her dreams appearing on the other side of the street. Huh? She doesn't freak out nearly enough, even when she sees him again at a party. She doesn't even bother taking the time to find out why she's been seeing him, she just walks up and says hi. Here's where I had another major problem. They literally talk for like five minutes before they head back to her place and have sex. There's no way I'd bring a stranger back to my place, ESPECIALLY if I'd been having weird dreams with him in them. At least not until after first talking to him about them, finding out who he really is. I mean, she saw him across the street and now he's here. Even she said it wasn't a coincidence. She's got this super powerful connection with him, ok cool, but seriously? And when they enter her room and show up in a field she's completely chill about it, even the next day when she realizes it was real and tells her friend. That part happens in basically a paragraph too. If it's going to be written at least do it so that it's not a brush over. I mean, I don't want intense details or anything like that, but it would have been a good opportunity to put us back in her head and have her explain how she thought this was a good idea. Autumn keeps saying how powerful and scary this coin is (which is sort of dumb because you'd think the fact that she's actually friends with all these people would have made her contemplate them) but despite everything that's happened, Noel still brushes her off. What? Worst. Bestfriend. Ever. Also, not very bright. Throughout the book she doesn't come off as very bright in fact. Just spoiled, self centered, and annoying. No one focuses on anything long enough in this book, one minute Autumn is freaking the next she's fine. One minute Noel is sad about Brad the next she's not. And they take WAY too many showers. I don't care. By thirty pages in she'd already taken five showers, who is that important for me to see? Basically the exact same things keep happening. Shower, sleep, knock from Autumn. Repeat process. Again. And again. And Again. Ugh. The same situation that happens with Jared happens with Boone, where the guy just shows up at this coffee shop she's at with only her name. She doesn't find it a tad strange that this guy was able to track her down with just her name? She was in a coffee shop, there are probably dozens of those around, and there's no way this is a tiny little city so...? But instead of questioning anything, she gets on the back of a motorcycle with him and heads off to a hotel room. Alone. Without telling anyone. Stupid. Sure, he ends up being a good guy, but she doesn't know that, and all signs point to him being a creepy stalker. Add to this that now she's totally into Boone despite the fact she literally just slept with his partner. Not cool. Don't get me wrong, at the end of this book I am glad that the two of them are the ones who ended up together, but I really feel the whole sex scene could have been forgone. Just a few other quick things, the second I found out Autumn was actually one of them my first thought was, now it all makes sense. She's stayed with selfish, self centered, immature Noel because she HAD to. No reader should ever think this about the main character. I liked Autumn more. Heck, I liked Wren more! At least she had conviction. The dialogue was soooooooooooooooo hard to read. The author did a lot of, "I am" and "I will" instead of "I'm" and "I'll". That actually does make it a lot harder to really get into the story because generally people now-a-days don't talk like that. And some sentences were just poorly written, take for example, "This tulip wasn't as beautiful as the ones I remembered from my dream night, but it does happen to tell me I didn't imagine the night." Choppy. All in all, I think it's safe to say that I did not enjoy this book like so many others apparently have. The action was good, I'll give it that, but information was just thrust upon the reader in big chunks (like when Autumn introduces everyone and their partners), the dialogue was so hard to get into, scenes were there that just took up space (filler scenes) and Noel was terrible. I did not like her. At all. I wouldn't recommend this book, but at the same token, this is just my personal opinion and there are a lot of other people who seemed to like it so...:/

Don't forget to join our giveaway below!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment