Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dark Dealings by Kim Knox

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

There are monsters in the city. And one of them is her…

Ava Kalle's empty soul devours magic. And her hunger is deadly. She's sharp, quick and can live in shadow, making her work as a spy for the Mages a natural choice. She lives on the fringes of society and likes it that way.

When the man she loves takes another woman for his mate, the darkness in her heart unravels and she'll do anything to get him back. She makes a dangerous deal with a fire elemental, Heyerdar, who has a vested interest in agreeing: together they'll use forbidden magic, harnessing their sexual energy to drive the couple apart.

But soon their pact pushes them both into a dark sexual obsession. One that Ava may not be able to control.


* * *


Can I just say holy wow? I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, and I never expected to like it THIS much! I seriously couldn't put it down! I was pretty much up all night just reading it, and then the second I finished I went online to look up more of Kim Knox's work! That's how good this was. Really. I mean it. So the main character Ava is this creature called a thief, and what they do is suck the magic out of people, usually done by eating people (yeah you read right) but not always. I'm not usually into the whole mage angle, not sure why, it's just typically not my thing, but I was completely enthralled by this book and the characters. I probably would have kept reading if they were actually all trolls living under a bridge. They had a lot of depth, and distinct personalities that made them so vivid and real in my minds eye. You know those books you read where at the end you're actually a little sad because you really do feel like now you have to say goodbye to some friends? That's this book. I want more Heyerdar :( Like, a lot more. Sometimes the book could get a little confusing, just because this an entire new world with different rules and people, but after a chapter or so you kind of get into the swing of it. There's action, romance, and definitely a lot of snarky humor which personally happens to be my all time favorite kind. This also doesn't have the typical love triangle that's in a lot of stories. What I did like a lot about this story also was that while sometimes the reader ends up getting frustrated with Ava, at the same time it's so easy to see where she's coming from. You end up pretty much believing similar things to her, so that while some parts you're like, "well that obviously has to be the case" you're still slightly in the dark right along with her. The relationships between the characters were just amazing, and I without a doubt recommend this book to anyone who's in the mood for some adventure and odd love affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment