Thursday, October 25, 2012

Only In Her Dreams (The Oneiroi Book #1) by Christina McKnight

Review by Jacey.

Blurb:

When Lucessa Sarcona awakes from a recurring dream, she has no idea her life is about to be turned upside down. A stranger, familiar to her dreams, shows up in the flesh, and Lucessa knows she’s either crazy or experiencing something not of this world.

A war ensues between three demigod brothers. One, trained to rule Erebos, is violently replaced. One forced to return to his homeland and lead the dream-gods of the Oneiroi. And one is charged with the impossible task of protecting Lucessa. How is she linked to the Oneiroi? Why do two brothers seek to keep her hidden and protected? And how does another plan to use her against the two demigods who love her?

Will Lucessa’s dream man have the courage to claim her as his own or will he bow to the command of another, forsaking the one he loves?

Only in Her Dreams is a modern spin on a Greek legend--the new direction of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, moving from angels, demons, vampires, and witches and toward the realm of demigods.

* * *

I'm a Sherrilyn Kenyon fan, so the idea of Oneiroi really caught my eye with this book. After reading it, however, I do have mixed feelings. That central theme of two people coming together and beating the odds because their soul mates wasn't really as strong here as in many of Kenyon's books. I just wish there was more romance between Lucessa and Maxim. I also wish his phrasing was a little less stilted. I get that he's ancient and lives in another realm, but if he's been visiting her, and others, dreams then he should know how they speak. It's hard to really connect with him because in the beginning whenever he spoke it just seemed too forced. I do really like Lucessa's character, but even she did things sometimes that just didn't seem smart to me. If she knew someone had broken into her house before Maxim, why didn't she call the cops? (I apologize if she did and I just can't remember that part). The flow of this was also strange for me. Sometimes the story moved really quickly and I couldn't wait to go on, and then others it seemed to just drown on. I did love the idea though, and the mythology that the author used. I thought the POV switch worked well, and definitely helped me see the story from different perspectives and angles I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. All in all, I would read the next book.


Don't forget to join our current giveaway below!!! :)


1 comment: