Sunday, October 28, 2012

Forsaken (Daughters of the Sea, #1) by Kristen Day

Review by Tempest.

Blurb:

Once you’ve been touched by darkness, it never leaves you…

Abandoned by her parents as an infant; seventeen year old Hannah spent her childhood wading through countless foster families until being adopted by the Whitmans three years ago.

Unfortunately, Atlanta’s high society wasn’t quite ready for Hannah…or the strange events that plague her.
Chilling visions of murder, unexplained hallucinations, and a dark, mysterious guy who haunts her nightmares all culminate to set in motion a journey of self-discovery that will challenge everything she’s ever believed; not to mention her sanity.

Sent to live at The House of Lorelei on Bald Head Island, NC for ‘kids like her’, Hannah quickly realizes things are not what they seem. Her fellow ‘disturbed’ teens are actually the descendants of mythical Sea Gods and Goddesses. And so is she.

But when Finn, the ghost from her dreams, appears in the flesh; her nightmares become reality and her dark visions begin coming true. Inexplicably drawn to him, she can’t deny the dangerous hold he has on her heart. The deadly secrets he harbors will ultimately test her courage and push the boundaries of her love.

She must decide if she is ready to embrace the ancient legend she is prophesied to be a part of. The fate of all the descendants will forever depend upon it.

* * *


Can I just say wow? 'Nough said. Ok, well, more can clearly be said, but it's basically all good. I can't even begin to tell you all how much I LOVED this book. I do mean LOVE. I can't remember the last time I thoroughly enjoyed a book this much! It was inspiring, attention getting, and had romance, mythological creatures, adventure, suspense, and paranormal aspects. I loved the main character. She had depth. Yes, here's a girl who's being thrust into a life she never knew she had, but the way she reacts to it is totally believable. I was completely glued to my seat the entire time. Anywhere I went I had my iPhone posed out in front of me so I could read as I walked, or sat, or ate...or pretty much did anything. At one point my friends had to steal away my phone! Not only is the main character likable, but her friends are as well. Carmen, Phoebe, and Willow seem awesome. I really wish they were real and could be my besties. They each had their own distinct personality, which helped a lot in the believable category. When you're telling a story about creatures with magical abilities, it's important to have every other aspect seem as plausible to the reader as possible. I completely bought into all of their relationship. And Finn. Again. Wow. I think I'm seriously in love, guys. Really this time. I'm positive. No, really! (I sort of pictured him as Tyler Lockwood from the Vampire Diaries tv show, just, you know, with blue eyes). He was mysterious, yet straight forward, honest yet...not so honest. Seriously, dude. Just tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. He's clearly hiding something and if I were Stasia I'd be pressing a little more to find out what that is exactly. I get that she's got a lot of stuff on her plate, and she's trusting his boundaries and what not, but if I'd lived the same horrible childhood she had...I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to do the same. But what I really liked about their relationship was how quippy they were, and how despite the fact that Finn clearly knew a lot more about her and her abilities, she didn't always immediately turn to him. Stasia still tried to do things on her own, like when she found out about Kira after the dance. She didn't immediately call Finn's cell being like, "I know I just saw you, but you need to come help me!" Nope. Instead she and her friends set off together to do it. The idea to rely on him for it barely even crossed her mind. I like that a lot. She's a strong character. I'd pretty much recommend this book to everyone! If you're into mythology, this is for you. Romance? Totally your kind of story. Adventure? Yup, has that too. Read it. Really, you should. ;)

Don't forget to join our giveaway below!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment