Friday, September 28, 2012

Spellbound (book #6) by Cate Tiernan

Reviewed by Tempest.

Blurb:

Morgan knows that a great battle is to come. More immediately, she senses that someone is out to harm Hunter. Is it a human or a witch?
***

I don't know what it is about this series that I'm addicted to. As far as the writing goes, it's not very complex. The voice of the author is easy to read, and the story itself is simple and somewhat predictable. Yet, at the same time, I can't stop reading them. It might have something to do with the main character, Morgan, who over the course of the last six books has become well developed. Like the story, she isn't overly complicated: typical teenager who doesn't know who she is and desperately wants a sense of belonging. Unlike typical teenagers however, she's a witch. I love how she's forced to balance her witch life with her family life, and how the author doesn't turn the dial too high up on the whole, Christians hate witches, bit. Sure, her parents don't approve of her new religion, however they do accept that that's who she is. At least by this book they basically have anyway. Also, Cal isn't such a big player in this book. He returns, sure, but he's not the central focus any longer, which in my opinion is a great thing. Personality aside, Cal wasn't a very well rounded character. He was very two dimensional, and in the first couple books I found myself constantly asking what it was Morgan saw in him. Cal was probably one of the major problems I had with the books in the beginning as well. Because there wasn't much depth to him, it was hard for me to get engaged in what happened to him, despite the fact that the protagonist cared for him so much. Now Hunter on the other hand, him I like. For one there's a lot more to Hunter and his character. From the very start we were given a true sense of him, unlike we were with Cal. Even when Morgan hated his guts I found myself secretly rooting for Hunter because I could actually picture him in my mind. All in all, I think I loved this book because by now, the main characters have all been fleshed out and given actual personalities, ones which I actually care about. That, and the basic story is still there of Morgan having to fight off this big bad evil power. That's always an interesting plus. :)


Don't forget to join our first giveaway below!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. The Sweep series is one of my all-time favorite YA series! I fell completely in love with it from book #1 and was thrilled to find out there were fifteen books. But then I was STILL sad when it ended. Fifteen just wasn't enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I haven't finished them yet myself, but I have a feeling I'm going to react the same way at the end! Lol.

    ReplyDelete