Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1) by Gwynneth White

Reviewed by Tempest.

Blurb:

Everyone has a soul mate. But what do you do when your soul mate would rather give his soul to the demons than be with you?

Seventeen-year-old Erin has a problem. Seth has been hers forever, but now an ancient curse is tearing him away. And the demons who invoked it will stop at nothing – even murder – to claim him as their own.

How can she win against a curse so binding that it has damned countless others to this same fate – an eternity alone?

The answer lies in the past. To find it, Erin and Seth must risk all, travelling back in time to a dangerous world where love is forbidden, and life – and death – hang on a pledge.

Follow Erin and Seth as they travel to ancient Shenaya and confront the curse that has plagued their families for millennia. Caught in a war between the Angelic Guardians and the Gefallen, the disembodied dead, they must fight to keep their souls in tact and their love untainted.

* * *


I received this book from a RI&R on goodreads.com. (I love those things!!!). The thing that initially caught my attention about this book was the unique story line. It was an interesting concept, the idea of soul mates having to choose whether or not they wanted to be with each other or give themselves away to demons. While this idea was expressed within the book, it wasn't really as fleshed out as I expected. For one, the characters didn't have much depth. One moment Erin doesn't believe in anything and the next she's completely convinced that she lived a past life. Yes, the evidence was pretty extensive, but a skeptic would still hesitate a little. She didn't. Seth wasn't very well rounded either. He seemed flat, and often times a little ridiculous. I kept wanting to see something from him, I'm not sure what, but nothing ever happened. He's loyal to his brother and that's it, and while I get that because of what happened in his life, it would seem less far fetched if that was emphasized. I wanted more of why Seth is willing to disbelieve despite the fact he's in the past, and why he's still willing to hand it over to his brother. All of the scenes kind of just jumped around, and all of the information was thrust upon us at once. Another thing was the flash back to the past. It didn't really seem necessary for us to follow around those other characters. It felt almost like a waste of my time, like it deviated from the story. And the pov jumps were frustrating themselves, because it didn't just happen in Erin and Seth's head but other characters like Sophia. She's another character I didn't fully buy in to. That whole scene all I kept thinking was they don't need to repeat each others names ever single time they open their mouths. It's just not necessary. Or believable. It was also strange having them follow her into this house and then have this conversation with her. It didn't really seem relevant, and afterwards they walked out like everything was normal. Some scenes, like the one with the hyena, were really good. I got to see more personality behind both Seth and Erin. I wish there were more scenes that focused on just the two of them, why they're here and how they feel about it. The author tries to give us information on Erin through the character's dialogue, but that just seems awkward and forced. Erin comes off slightly full of herself because of it. She's constantly dropping information about her life at random times, where it doesn't really fit. Instead, I'd like to know more about her by maybe having Seth ask questions. I want to know more about how she is in her head. I feel like certain things needed to be given more attention, while other scenes needed to be cut down. I still love the idea behind this story, but as far as the execution I didn't feel like I got what the blurb promised.  I didn't hate it, and I do really think that there's a great story here. It just needs to be fleshed out more and told in a less disjointed way.

Don't forget to join our first giveaway below!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment